Saturday, June 2, 2007

Just Say No...


To roaches!! Oh my GOD, GROSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was thinking today on my way to Barb's BBQ as I saw countless love bugs splatter on our windshield... why do we regard SOME bugs as "acceptable" or even "cute" (ok, maybe it's just me). As in love bugs.... I mean, who hasn't caught a love bug in their lifetime? Or how about a lady bug... roly poly? What makes us think that some bugs have a place in our society? while others are vile creatures who deserve a painful neurological death by way of Raid? Have you ever 'raid'ed a lady bug? I don't think so. Is it because they have cute names? Why are roaches so disgusting????? Why when I see one in my kitchen, I almost faint? As my friend Pete once said, "I would jump through fire to escape a flying cockroach". I concur. I shutter just looking at this cartoon image. Are they really vile creatures, or have we been trained to think that way? Ugh. I hate them.

5 comments:

Cat said...

In the words of that radical, biology genius, Mr. Don Harsh, "I will put a grasshopper in my mouth any day. But not a cockroach. They get their meals from dirty diapers." Does that say it all, or what? ;)

Unknown said...

Pathetically, I cannot kill any bugs...roaches included. I bought a bug trapper at a toy store so that I can capture them and release them back into the wild...haha. Like I said, pathetic.

Me said...

Yea Lisa, I cannot kill bugs either... I, too, am pathetic-- but I don't care if other people do it, like my husband :)

Dana said...

omg cat that just made me laugh out loud!! i just told my students a few weeks ago "i'd rather battle a bear in the wilderness than a cockaroach in my bathroom." hahaha...you would have thought i was sarah silverman, i had them laughing so hard! cockaroaches and ants i CANNOT deal with. and i will kill them for sure, though i prefer not to b/c of the "remains."

Anonymous said...

I think Andrew might have eaten a roach this morning, or a beetle or something. I found a few remains of it on the corner of his mouth. Shannon, didn't you have a culinary run in with a roach as a kid?