Tuesday, May 22, 2007

You're Invited to a....



B.Y.O.C. (complaint)! Here's mine: Both Matt and I graduated from good schools, we work hard, pay our bills, are fully involved in our own careers, and we have no children. So… why am I watching a television set that is 15 years old that used to belong to my mother? Why, as I type this post, am I sitting on a broken ass couch? Why do I put my clothes away in a dresser set that used to belong to my sister in 1985? Why do I sit on a vanity stool (also passed down by my mother) that doubles as my cat’s stratching post, and why is my shoe holder propped up with a hanger? I will stop there because I honestly just threw up in my mouth a little. So please tell me. Why can’t I afford better things? Why do people I know purchase a new bedroom set every single time they move? Why do they have granite counter tops? They barely have jobs. Will there ever be a time when I look around the house and see NOTHING that used to belong to someone else?

9 comments:

Cat said...

Sweet Jesus! It's like you were in my mind just then! I am starting to loathe hand-me-down's too. I used to think it was charming and cute when we first got married, but now it just makes me feel like a broke ass mofo. :( You are NOT ALONE!

Unknown said...

Well, I know I probably don't count since I'm still single and live in a one BR apt. (Pity Party alert!), but I do feel you! And I think those other people have all that stuff cause they also have huge amounts of credit card debt. And hand-me-downs definitely beat being a slave to the Master :)

Rhonda Stephens said...

Shannon...the reason that you have some outdated, second-hand things is because you've CHOSEN to! You can certainly afford to have granite countertops, flat screened t.v.s, Ethan Allen furniture, you name it. But instead you've chosen to own a house, own another piece of property, drive 2 new vehicles, play golf (an expensive hobby), and take vacations. Life is one huge series of trade-offs, so don't feel cheated, or slighted because you really do lead a charmed life :)

Kasey said...

How about that kick ass kitchen of yours :)

Anonymous said...

hah good call kasey

gayle

Me said...

how about that kick ass debt????????

Dana said...

i'd like to BMOC! here it is: no matter WHAT we try to do to this house it doesn't look "just right." Why? because the walls are bumpy, the baseboards have been painted 50 times, and shit is uneven! so even if WE do a good job painting or something, it still ends up looking slightly half assed because it was imperfect to BEGIN WITH!! soooo frustrating! and we don't love this house enough to start from scratch on most things, so we're doing the best we can :)

Cat said...

I need more Shannon Blogs!! Post something!!!!!!

Cat said...

Um, try living in a house that is 105 years old and then come talk to me about bumpy walls and overpainted mouldings, okay? ;) There is so much flammable shellac on every square inch of wood in this house, I'm suprised we don't set it ablaze every time we turn on the stove! How's THAT for a complaint?!