Sunday, May 20, 2007

El Avocado Preciado :)



Dearest Avocado, where have you been all my life?! As I get oldER, I am finding that I am craving foods I've always told myself I hated.


Recent discoveries include (not limited to) beans (black, refried), black eyed peas, and red wine vinegar. Some weird force drew me to these foods like a pregnant lady to pickles- I couldn't describe it. Now-- there are some foods that I will never go near despite how badly my body wants to try them: mayo, sour cream, mustard, jelly, seafood. Mainly because I want to gag when I think about them, but also because I am a teenie bit afraid I will like them, and I kinda like things the way they are.

So anyway, my latest revelation: AVOCADOS. I heart them!! on everything- and I absolutely cannot get enough of guacamole- not the creamy dip kind, but the chunky mashed up avocado"y" kind with peppers, onions, cilantro. Here is a good (and simple) recipe I've found that I make often. I am still searching for others. This one claims to be the Chipotle recipe (which undeniably has the BEST guac ever!) but sadly it's not as good... but still my go-to recipe at home. Got a guac recipe to share?



1 large ripe avocado peeled,pitted (I use two smaller avocados)
2 teaspoons
fresh lime juice
1/2 cup chopped
fresh cilantro

1/4 cup finely chopped onions
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 large
serrano chilies, seeded,chopped (poblano peppers work good, too!)
1/4 teaspoon
salt

Mash up avocado with a fork or electric mixer.
Add lime juice.
Add all other ingredients and blend well.
Serve with tortilla chips (lime flavored are yummy!!)

4 comments:

Cat said...

If you like omelets, my favorite kind is avocado and cheddar cheese with a little salsa on top. :) We cut ourselves off of avocados for a while b/c we were eating them too much- how can something so yummy (and a vegetable/fruit?) make us so FAT?

Me said...

omg that sounds YUMMERS! I love love omelets! P.S. Yes avocados contain fat, BUT it's the GOOD fat...like nuts. :)

Cat said...

"Deez nuts". hahahahaha!

Dana said...

yea, the chunky guac is the BEST! i was going to invite you guys over to dinner next week but then i realized i was making a *seafood* main dish and you were a huge pussy about seafood. let me know if you want to experiment...